tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Louis Zipes <Louis.Zi...@kdrp.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat doesn't restart
Date Tue, 19 Mar 2019 11:15:54 GMT
Ok, thanks.  As mentioned it is difficult to grab due to timing but I will try to show the
overnight team how to capture a thread dump but for right now I have change the restart time
forward 10 minutes and done put in some other stop/start jobs for the third party app and
will see if that relieves the problem.

Also, I would like to upgrade Tomcat in the near future so hopefully that will help.

- Louis

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Thomas [mailto:markt@apache.org]
Sent: Friday, March 15, 2019 7:52 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Tomcat doesn't restart

- - - external message, proceed with caution - - -

On 14/03/2019 20:23, Louis Zipes wrote:
> Hi Experts,
> Running Tomcat 7.0.54 on Windows 2012
>
> Our morning process is to fire a stop of the Tomcat Windows Service and then an immediate
restart.  This is more due to the 3rd party application that is running with Tomcat than a
problem with Tomcat.  A few weeks ago it started to not cleanly stop when using the following
batch file command.  Note that this had worked for more than a year with no problems and I
don't think that there have been any server changes although I don't control the machine

> net stop "Apache Tomcat 7.0 TPMDEV" && net start "Apache Tomcat 7.0 TPMDEV"
>
> I then changed the batch file, that calls the Windows Service stop/start to give a 65
second delay between the stop and start hoping to give it more time to cleanly stop before
restarting:

> ====
>
> net stop "Apache Tomcat 7.0 TPMDEV"
>
> PING localhost -n 65 >NUL
>
> net start "Apache Tomcat 7.0 TPMDEV"
>

> ====
>
> This modified batch file worked for about 2 weeks but then this morning it failed to
stop and restart correctly.  Since it is PRD we just have to get it restarted so I usually
don't have time to troubleshoot getting threads, etc.  (also, the off shore team is on shift
when this happens but I'm the administrator that actually has to get to root cause when I
start my shift).

> I observed the following in the std-output log it seems to receive the Shutdown command
but it seems like either all of the threads are not being closed for some reason

> Mar 14, 2019 5:28:00 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer await
> INFO: A valid shutdown command was received via the shutdown port. Stopping the Server
instance.
> Mar 14, 2019 5:28:00 AM org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol pause
> INFO: Pausing ProtocolHandler ["http-bio-7005"]
> Mar 14, 2019 5:28:00 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService stopInternal
> INFO: Stopping service Catalina
> Mar 14, 2019 5:28:00 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper unload
> INFO: Waiting for 94 instance(s) to be deallocated for Servlet [RequestDispatcherServlet]
> Mar 14, 2019 5:28:01 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper unload
> INFO: Waiting for 94 instance(s) to be deallocated for Servlet [RequestDispatcherServlet]
> Mar 14, 2019 5:28:03 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper unload
> INFO: Waiting for 94 instance(s) to be deallocated for Servlet [RequestDispatcherServlet]
> --
>

> So my questions are:
>
> 1) Does anyone have a better way to make sure Tomcat is fully stopped and any open threads
are killed

Killing the process is probably the only other option.

> 2) Is this part below real cause and I need to find the root cause by doing a thread
dump?  As mentioned it is hard for me to get one because I'm usually not on shift when this
happens.

Yes. You need a thread dump to find out what is going on here. I'd guess
the application has been updated just before this problem started happening.

Mark

> Mar 14, 2019 5:28:03 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper unload
> INFO: Waiting for 94 instance(s) to be deallocated for Servlet [RequestDispatcherServlet]
>
> Thanks, Louis

> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message is for intended addressee(s) only and may contain
information that is confidential, proprietary or exempt from disclosure. If you are not the
intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately. Unauthorized use or distribution
is prohibited and may be unlawful.