tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Louis Zipes <Louis.Zi...@kdrp.com>
Subject Tomcat doesn't restart
Date Thu, 14 Mar 2019 20:23:15 GMT
Hi Experts,
Running Tomcat 7.0.54 on Windows 2012

Our morning process is to fire a stop of the Tomcat Windows Service and then an immediate
restart.  This is more due to the 3rd party application that is running with Tomcat than a
problem with Tomcat.  A few weeks ago it started to not cleanly stop when using the following
batch file command.  Note that this had worked for more than a year with no problems and I
don't think that there have been any server changes although I don't control the machine

net stop "Apache Tomcat 7.0 TPMDEV" && net start "Apache Tomcat 7.0 TPMDEV"

I then changed the batch file, that calls the Windows Service stop/start to give a 65 second
delay between the stop and start hoping to give it more time to cleanly stop before restarting:

====

net stop "Apache Tomcat 7.0 TPMDEV"

PING localhost -n 65 >NUL

net start "Apache Tomcat 7.0 TPMDEV"

====

This modified batch file worked for about 2 weeks but then this morning it failed to stop
and restart correctly.  Since it is PRD we just have to get it restarted so I usually don't
have time to troubleshoot getting threads, etc.  (also, the off shore team is on shift when
this happens but I'm the administrator that actually has to get to root cause when I start
my shift).

I observed the following in the std-output log it seems to receive the Shutdown command but
it seems like either all of the threads are not being closed for some reason

Mar 14, 2019 5:28:00 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer await
INFO: A valid shutdown command was received via the shutdown port. Stopping the Server instance.
Mar 14, 2019 5:28:00 AM org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol pause
INFO: Pausing ProtocolHandler ["http-bio-7005"]
Mar 14, 2019 5:28:00 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService stopInternal
INFO: Stopping service Catalina
Mar 14, 2019 5:28:00 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper unload
INFO: Waiting for 94 instance(s) to be deallocated for Servlet [RequestDispatcherServlet]
Mar 14, 2019 5:28:01 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper unload
INFO: Waiting for 94 instance(s) to be deallocated for Servlet [RequestDispatcherServlet]
Mar 14, 2019 5:28:03 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper unload
INFO: Waiting for 94 instance(s) to be deallocated for Servlet [RequestDispatcherServlet]
--

So my questions are:

1) Does anyone have a better way to make sure Tomcat is fully stopped and any open threads
are killed
2) Is this part below real cause and I need to find the root cause by doing a thread dump?
 As mentioned it is hard for me to get one because I'm usually not on shift when this happens.

Mar 14, 2019 5:28:03 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper unload
INFO: Waiting for 94 instance(s) to be deallocated for Servlet [RequestDispatcherServlet]

Thanks, Louis

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message is for intended addressee(s) only and may contain information
that is confidential, proprietary or exempt from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient,
please contact the sender immediately. Unauthorized use or distribution is prohibited and
may be unlawful.