tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: How to Disable JSP in Embedded Tomcat
Date Sat, 22 Sep 2018 09:10:42 GMT

On 22/09/2018 01:11, Igal Sapir wrote:
> Mark,
>
> On Fri, Sep 21, 2018 at 12:54 AM Mark Thomas <markt@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On 21/09/18 05:57, Igal Sapir wrote:
>>> I want to embed Tomcat in a simple application that does not use JSP, and
>>> that sets the default servlet's listings initParam to true.
>>>
>>> When I use the StandardContext, Tomcat.initWebappDefaults() [1] is called
>>> and adds the default servlet and the JSP servlet.  I would like to
>> prevent
>>> that, but hopefully without having to rewrite the whole Tomcat class nor
>>> subclass it.
>>>
>>> Further, when I try to override a setting in WEB-INF/web.xml, e.g. to
>>> specify init-param of "listings" with value "true" for the servlet
>>> "default", I get an error that "default" is not unique, but in a regular
>>> Tomcat deployment that works just fine.
>>>
>>> Is there an easy way to override Tomcat.initWebappDefaults() or to
>> prevent
>>> it from being called?
>>
>> There are a couple few options.
>>
>> Sub-classing looks to be the simplest.
>>
>> You can use addContext() rather than addWebapp() but then you become
>> responsible for all of the configuration. If the app is simple, this
>> shouldn't be too much effort.
>>

> The app is simple, but it is for use by other developers who may use their
> own web.xml files, so I think that sub-classing would be much easier and
> that's what I did.
>
> While searching for a solution prior to asking on the mailing list, I
> noticed that quite a few users were looking for a simple solution of using
> addWebapp() without setting up the default servlets.  What do you think
> about adding a System Property that will allow to opt-out of
> initWebappDefaults() and set the DefaultWebXml to null so that the web.xml
> files will be parsed?

I have a huge dislike for using system properties for configuration. A
setter on the Tomcat class would be fine.

> I am thinking of a property name
> org.apache.catalina.startup.INIT_WEBAPP_DEFAULTS [default true], or
> org.apache.catalina.startup.DISABLE_WEBAPP_DEFAULTS [default false].
>
> Alternatively, we can add the sub-classing implementation that I used (with
> the proper ASF license headers, of course).  The code is pasted below in
> case anyone else needs such an implementation.
>
> I can add either solution myself if approved.

I can imagine different users wanting to do various different things
here. I am wondering if there is a better way of handling this. The
tricky part is that we want to offer lots of flexibility in what is a
potentially complex area while keeping usage really simple.

Mark