tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Louis Zipes <Louis.Zi...@gmcr.com>
Subject Application hanging on Tomcat 7.0.54
Date Wed, 26 Sep 2018 18:42:08 GMT
Hi all,
Tomcat 7.0.54 running on Windows 2012

We are running a third party application on Tomcat and today we have intermittently run in
issues where the application stops working.  The big changes in our system is that we have
added more end users and we are at year end so of course everyone is hitting the system hard.
Even if we force a log out of all users and stop all background jobs then the application
doesn't recover.

We see no active sessions on the database (our application is connecting to an Oracle database)
and I see no clear error messages in either our third party application logs or the Tomcat
logs (ex. OutofMemory).  When we go to the Windows Task Manager we did not see the machine's
Memory max'd out but admittedly I didn't look at the Java session to see if was reaching its
Heap Max.  The only thing that we noticed was that TCP connections went down right after the
restart.  I did open up Jconsole under Java and I did force a garbage collection but that
didn't seem to help.

We do have an Oracle Grid Control and we did get an alert in regards to Metric: [HTTP Transaction]
Perceived Time per Page going past thresholds but not sure if that was just an old alert with
and old range that was set up a long time ago or is a really valid clue.    Since this is
PRD we had to get it back up and running so all I did was increase the Tomcat Xmx Heap size
and restarted.  I'm not really confident that is the solution since as mentioned you tend
to see a clear out of memory error if it was too small.

So a few questions:

1)     Does this sound like a known issue with this earlier version of Tomcat?

2)     Should I turn up any logging on Tomcat and if so which ones?

3)     We didn't do a JSTACK dump while it was happening.  Would that have been useful?

4)     Do we need to play around with MaxThreads and/or MaxConnections.  We do have maxThreads
in our server.mxl but in DEV when we turned it down to a value = 5  hoping to overwhelm it
nothing bad happened.

Once again, we are limited to what we could do and collect since it was PRD and we needed
to restart it.  We restarted the Tomcat service and everything is processing fine for right
now.  I will note that that we did have that bad Windows patch that prevented it from stopping
and starting cleanly  (https://stackoverflow.com/questions/51498291/tomcat-lockup-on-shutdown)
but we have taken the break fix patch and the daily restarts seem to be fine since then.

Any comments/suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks, Louis

LOUIS ZIPES
SOFTWARE DEVELOPER ANALYST IV
O: 781-418-3257
louis.zipes@keurig.com<mailto:louis.zipes@keurig.com>
Keurig Dr Pepper
Visit us at www.KeurigDrPepper.com<http://www.keurigdrpepper.com/>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message is for intended addressee(s) only and may contain information
that is confidential, proprietary or exempt from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient,
please contact the sender immediately. Unauthorized use or distribution is prohibited and
may be unlawful.