tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Berneburg, Cris J. - US" <cberneb...@caci.com>
Subject help with org.apache.jasper.compiler.JDTCompiler issue?
Date Wed, 19 Sep 2018 19:20:00 GMT
Hi Folks

We can't figure out what's wrong with our staging server.  After upgrading Java and our application,
Tomcat started logging "Compilation error" exceptions.  The login JSP page did not display.

After reverting Java and our app, the app still won't run and still throws compilation errors.
 Tomcat is working because we can access the Manager and Host Manager applications.

As for the app deployment, we:
1. Stop the Tomcat service.
2. Delete the contents of the tomcat folder work/Catalina/localhost/app/org/apache/jsp.
3. Delete the contents of the app folder under webapps.
4. Copy the new app exploded structure to the webapps app folder.
5. Reboot the server (Windows Server 2012).

* Staging Server - before upgrade
JRE 8u171, 32 bit
Tomcat 6.0.32, 32 bit
App v3.3.2

* Staging Server - after upgrade
JRE 8u181, 32 bit
Tomcat 6.0.32, 32 bit (unchanged)
App v3.4.1

* Staging Server - after rollback
JRE 8u171, 32 bit
Tomcat 6.0.32, 32 bit (unchanged)
App v3.3.2

* Production Server
JRE 8u171, 32 bit
Tomcat 6.0.32, 32 bit
App v3.3.2

* Test Server
JRE 8u181, 64 bit
Tomcat 6.0.37, 64 bit
App v3.4.1
App v3.3.2

* Dev/Build Server
JDK 8u181, 64 bit
Tomcat 6.0.37, 64 bit
App v3.4.1
App v3.3.2

* Also:
a. The 32-bit staging versus 64-bit app build was not an issue in production.
b. The Tomcat revision 32 in staging versus 37 in dev/test has not been an issue in prod.
c. This deployment method has worked for years.
d. I don't think the staging server needs either the JAVA_HOME or CATALINA_HOME environment
variables because production does not have them either.
e. The Tomcat service uses the built-in system account.

* Partial stack trace:
org.apache.jasper.compiler.JDTCompiler$1 findType
SEVERE: Compilation error
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.classfmt.classFormatException
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.classfmtClassFileReader.<init>(ClassFileReader.java:342)
at org.apache.jasper.compiler.JDTCompiler$1.findType(JDTCompiler.java:206)
at org.apache.jasper.compiler.JDTCompiler$1.findType(JDTCompiler.java:163)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.lookup.LookupEnvironment.askForType(LookupEnvironment.java:96)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.lookup.UnresolvedReferenceBinding.resolve(UnresolvedReferenceBinding.java:49)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.lookup.BinaryTypeBinding.resolveType(BinaryTypeBinding.java:97)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.lookup.PackageBinding.getTypeOrPackage(PackageBinding.java:167)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.lookup.Scope.getType(Scope.java:2187)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.ast.TypeDeclaration.resolve(TypeDeclaration.java:974)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.ast.TypeDeclaration.resolve(TypeDeclaration.java:1164)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.ast.CompilationUnitDeclaration.resolve(CompilationUnitDeclaration.java:366)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.Compiler.process(Compiler.java:623)
[...]

Got any ideas?  Your help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

--
Cris Berneburg
CACI Lead Software Engineer