tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Désilets, Alain <Alain.Desil...@nrc-cnrc.gc.ca>
Subject Getting the Manager app running on localhost.. Please help
Date Thu, 12 Jul 2018 14:58:45 GMT
I have been trying to get my local Tomcat installation to allow me to deploy apps from the
local machine and nothing I do seems to help.

At the moment, I have a file [CATALINA_HOME]/conf/tomcat-users.xml with the following content:

   <role rolename="manager"/>
   <role rolename="manager-script"/>
   <role rolename="manager-gui"/>
   <user username="admin" password="admin" roles="manager,manager-script,manager-gui"/>

When I go to http://localhost:8080/ and click on the various apps buttons I get the following
outcomes:

  *   Server Status: Opens the ‘Server Status’ page
  *   Manager App: Opens the ‘Tomcat Web Application Manager’ page. But if I try to deploy
a war file, I get “This site can’t be reached”.
  *   Host Manager: I get ‘403 Access Denied’ with a long series of explanations about
roles, context.xml and tomcat-users.xml.

Reading the instructions, it sounds like I got the tomcat-users.xml part right (see the content
above). Correct?

So now I go about creating the context file for the Manager app. I create a file:

   [CATALINA_HOME]/ conf/Catalina/localhost/manager.xml

With the following content:

<Context privileged="true" antiResourceLocking="false"
         docBase="/usr/local/apache-tomcat-8.5.4/webapps/manager">
  <Valve className="org.apache.catalina.valves.RemoteAddrValve"
         allow="132\.246\.129\.58" />