tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier (tomcat) ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Certificate based database authentication
Date Tue, 10 Jul 2018 15:26:00 GMT
Hi.

On 10.07.2018 15:03, Will Nordmeyer wrote:
> I have an application in Tomcat 7 that connects to an Oracle database.
> Currently we are connecting using the username/password which is
> embedded in the xml files.  To harden security, we are looking at x509
> certificate authentication.
>
> Is there a way to tie a certificate to Tomcat hand have them
> authenticate that way?

As far as I know, when your application connects to a database (like you do above), it is

for that
using a driver specific to that database (such as Oracle in your case), and that driver
code is not a part of Tomcat.
So I believe that your question should be directed at whoever provides (or supports) the
database driver that you are using. Only they would know the answer to your question.
This is also the sense of the following on-line documentation page :
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-9.0-doc/jndi-datasource-examples-howto.html
(and similar ones for other tomcat versions, e.g.
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/jndi-datasource-examples-howto.html
)