tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier (tomcat) ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Weird problem: slow upload via Manager
Date Fri, 06 Jul 2018 22:31:22 GMT
On 06.07.2018 19:49, Chris Cheshire wrote:

>> On Jul 6, 2018, at 12:56 PM, James H. H. Lampert <jamesl@touchtonecorp.com>
wrote:

>> Forgive the top-post.
>>
>> The reason why this particular case of an extremely slow Manager upload sticks out
is because we've done, by now, hundreds of uploads of this same WAR file (or earlier versions
of it), via Manager, on over a dozen different installations, most of them AS/400s, and none
of the others have taken even half this long.

> The problem might be deeper than tomcat then.
+1

> Have you ruled out IO problems writing the WAR? Is the HD/SSD failing and trying to resolve
bad blocks? Is the network device failing causing dropped packets?

> Has another process on the machine run amok and causing IO contention, or paging issues?

With the information available so far, it is a bit hard to make a qualified guess.
If you can do this, and you have a choice of WARs to upload to the same system, and as a
first simple way of getting more information, I would try uploading e.g. a WAR that is 50%

or 25% or 10% the size of that original one, and see if the times are consistent with your

50 MB WAR.
And do this several times, to see if the times are consistent for the same size, or they
vary widely over time.
Uploading another WAR will use exactly the same steps and elements as your first try,
varying only one item at a time : the size of the upload.