tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>
Subject Re: Documentation for Catalina Base
Date Mon, 30 Jul 2018 16:25:04 GMT

Marek,

On 7/30/18 3:22 AM, Marek Czernek wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> recently, we noticed the lack of documentation for Catalina Base,
> and I wanted to find out more about it. Other than a strangely
> obscure txt file [1], I did not find the concept and usage of
> Catalina Base documented in the Tomcat docs.

Do you mean the CATALINA_BASE environment variable, which is copied
into a running JVM as the "catalina.base" system property?

> My questions are:
>
> 1) Did I overlook it being documented somewhere?

Other than in RUNNING.txt (where it is thoroughly described), it is
documented in:

1. bin/catalina.sh and bin/catalina.bat
2. The "Directories and Files" section of each Tomcat X documentation
(e.g.
https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-9.0-doc/introduction.html#Directories_a
nd_Files)
3. The "Introduction" section of each Tomcat X configuration guide for
the "context" container (e.g.
https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-9.0-doc/config/context.html#Introductio
n)

> 2) If not, is there any reason for it not being documented? While
> I don't want to duplicate text, I do not consider a txt file
> somewhere a sufficient docs.

What, it needs to be in TeX, too?

> If the answer to both of my questions is no, we'll create a patch
> against the Tomcat docs.
>
> [1] https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-9.0-doc/RUNNING.txt

Patches are always welcome, but I believe it is currently
properly-documented.

Is there something specific you were looking for and could not find?

- -chris