tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Désilets, Alain <Alain.Desil...@nrc-cnrc.gc.ca>
Subject Re: Getting the Manager app running on localhost.. Please help
Date Fri, 13 Jul 2018 10:09:14 GMT
Thx everyone for the great replies.

I decided to take Konstantin Kolinko's advice and start a new installation from scratch using
tomcat-8.5.32.

I have had some success, but still can't deploy WARS.

Here is what I did:

== Step 1: Installing Tomcat per se ==
I used the instructions on this page:

	https://wolfpaulus.com/mac/tomcat/

* Download the zip file and unzip it on your HD under /usr/local/apache-tomcat-N.N.N (where
N.N.N is the version number).
** Note: In the rest of this document, that directory will be referred to [CATALINA_HOME].
* Create a symlink /Library/Tomcat to make managing future versions easier:
	sudo rm -f /Library/Tomcat
	sudo ln -s [CATALINA_HOME] /Library/Tomcat
* Change ownership of /Library/Tomcat
	sudo chown -R <your_username> /Library/Tomcat
* Make all scripts executable
	sudo chmod +x /Library/Tomcat/bin/*.sh
* Now, I can start/stop tomcat as follows:
	/Library/Tomcat/bin/startup.sh
	/Library/Tomcat/bin/shutdown.sh
** IMPORTANT: DON’T RUN THOSE SCRIPTS WITH SUDO!!!
     Especially ‘startup.sh’, as this will end up creating a bunch of temporay dirs and
files that will be owned by ROOT, and cannot be written unless you start Tomcat as ROOT.
* Test the installation by:
** Starting Tomcat with startup.sh
** Pointing my browser at http://localhost:8080/.
** I see the Tomcat home page no problem

== Step 2: Configuring the Tomcat Manager Apps ==

* Edit the file /Library/Tomcat/conf/tomcat-users.xml, and add the following lines inside
the <tomcat-users> tag pair:

	<role rolename="admin-gui"/>
    	<role rolename="manager-gui"/>
    	<user username="admin" password="PASSWORD"
		roles="admin-gui,manager-gui"/>

* Shutdown and re-start Tomcat
* At this point, I can click on any of the following buttons: 'Server Status', 'Manager' App,
'Host Manager' and once I enter the user and passwords I specified in <tomcat-users>,
I get to see the corresponding page.
** On 'Manager App', I was able to start, stop, re-deploy EXISTING apps.
** BUT....
*** When I tried to deploy a new WAR file, I got:

	This site can’t be reached
	The connection was reset.
	Try:

		Checking the connection
		Checking the proxy and the firewall
		ERR_CONNECTION_RESET

After a bit of reading, it seems that this is because the WAR file I was deploying was larger
than the maximum size allowed. I fixed that by editing /Library/Tomcat/webapps/manager/WEB-INF/web.xml,
and changing the size in the following tags:

   	<multipart-config>
      	<max-file-size>50000000 </max-file-size>
      	<max-request-size>50000000 </max-request-size>
      	<file-size-threshold>0</file-size-threshold>
    	</multipart-config>

And now, all seem to work fine.

Again, thanks to everyone who pitched in with some advice. It was really helpful.

Alain