tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jerry Malcolm <techst...@malcolms.com>
Subject Re: Java 10; JAXB; and Tomcat 9
Date Wed, 02 May 2018 22:42:53 GMT
On 5/2/2018 4:37 PM, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:
> Le 02/05/2018 à 23:14, Jerry Malcolm a écrit :
>> I just did a clean install of TC 9 on a new system.  I downloaded the
>> latest JDK, (10).  My code started getting errors about JAXB Exception
>> class not found.  I had already faced this with the JAMES installation
>> and found out JAXB was removed in Java 9+, but was still available if
>> called out.  The forums said to include --add-modules java.xml.bind on
>> the Java command line.  This fixed it in JAMES.  But I added this to the
>> java options in the TC configuration app and get an "invalid option"
>> error.  Am I putting this option in the wrong place on the config
>> panel?  Is there another way to call out JAXB in TC?
> The java.xml.bind module is going to be removed from Java 11 and the
> --add-modules trick will no longer work. I suggest adding the jaxb jar
> to your classpath instead for a long term solution.
>
> Emmanuel Bourg

Thanks for the input.  I haven't been keeping up with Java EE for a
while.  I tried to download EE instead of SE and got a few gigabytes of
"GlassFish server".  Couldn't even find the jaxb jar files in that
package.  I haven't researched what GlassFish is... but I know I don't
need to learn another server right now.   Did I download the wrong
thing?  Is there still just a plain ol' EE version of Java with jar files?