tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Daryl Stultz <daryl.stu...@opentempo.com>
Subject Proper hot deploy technique
Date Tue, 17 Apr 2018 15:38:06 GMT
Hello,

We have a dev environment where we regularly deploy and undeploy applications while Tomcat
is running. We are on Tomcat 8.5. We stage the application in a temporary directory, we are
not using war files. We then deploy with a call to the manager app like this:

http://tomcat:PASSWORD@localhost:8080/manager/text/deploy?path=/myapp&war=file:/temp/myapp

Somehow Tomcat is failing to take in all the files. The set of files do not appear to be related
but the all-important classes and web.xml files are missing, so the application does not start.

We've decided to change our process a bit by turning on auto deploy and moving the temporary
directory into the webapps directory. That seems to be working but I'm wondering if anyone
has seen this problem and what we might be doing wrong.

Thanks.

--

Daryl Stultz
Principal Software Developer