tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>
Subject Re: I cant start Tomcat instances
Date Mon, 19 Mar 2018 13:28:20 GMT

Loai,

On 3/17/18 1:58 PM, Loai Abdallatif wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 17, 2018 at 3:39 PM, Olaf Kock <tomcat@olafkock.de>
> wrote:
>
>> On 17.03.2018 14:16, Loai Abdallatif wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Colleagues I'm new to tomcat, I have successfully
>>> installed the service but when I tried to run three instances I
>>> coudnt  due to error below
>>>
>>> : the this I did is copied the cataline Home to three instances
>>> tomcat0, tomcat1, and tomcat2 directories
>>>
>>> and in each directory I have configured the connectors ports,
>>> AJP port and addresses . the tomcat main instance is working
>>> but I think the problem is that in CATALINA_BASE .but I dont
>>> know how to instruct the statup script
>>>

>>> root@appserver01:/opt/tomcat0# ./startup-instance0.sh
>>> ./startup-instance0.sh: line 3: ./startup.sh: No such file or
>>> directory root@appserver01:/opt/tomcat0#
>>> root@appserver01:/opt/tomcat0# root@appserver01:/opt/tomcat0#
>>> cat startup-instance0.sh export CATALINA_BASE=/opt/tomcat0 cd
>>> $CATALINA_HOME/bin ./startup.sh
>>>

>> well,
>>
>> ./startup.sh: No such file or directory
>>
>> Did you see that you set CATALINA_BASE (note: BASE) and then cd
>> to the undefined CATALINA_HOME/bin (note: HOME)? You probably
>> didn't intend this: Both are typically undefined on a system
>> level, so you're probably not cding into the directory you
>> intend.
>>
> Thanks Olaf
>
> so how to tell the tomcat the instance 0 to take its config from
> tomcat0 directory.
Have a look at the RUNNING.txt file under the "Advanced" heading. It
explains how to use a single Tomcat binary install (rooted at
CATALINA_HOME) and separate configurations for each instance you want
to run (each rooted under a different CATALINA_BASE). Note the
difference between those two environment variable names.

I think you want your script to look like this:

== CUT ==
export CATALINA_HOME="/opt/apache-tomcat-8.5.29"
export CATALINA_BASE="/opt/tomcat0"

"$CATALINA_HOME/bin/startup.sh"
== CUT ==

There is no need to "cd" to the directory which contains the script.

- -chris