tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Konstantin Kolinko <knst.koli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat stopped and Debug can't be done in Eclipse
Date Tue, 20 Feb 2018 08:10:18 GMT
> Hi,
>
> I am writing to this mailing group again because I finally know that Tomcat is the cause
of the problem(after writing to an expert)
> and thus I hope to sort help for this problem.
>
> The tomcat version is Apache Tomcat 9.0.4 windows 64.
>
> Eclipse Oxygen.
> Project : Maven dynamic MVC web app with Hibernate, JPA and JSP.
> MySQL server 5.7.
>
> Whenever, I run debug on jsp, after submitting the form, tomcat will just stop and Eclipse
does not take over the debugging.

> All the breakpoints are there and perspective is showing debug mode, except the debug
buttons are all grey out though.

> I do not know how to make Tomcat not stopping.
>
> Kindly advise if there is a setting I have missed out such that the above scenario is
happening.

1. How exactly do you start Tomcat in debug mode? What instructions
and documentation are you following?

2. From log output in your previous thread,
http://markmail.org/message/tgymk3r43ox5ggps

your command line options are

> Jan 21, 2018 11:25:58 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener log INFO:
Command line argument:
> -agentlib:jdwp=transport=dt_socket,suspend=y,address=localhost:51917

I think that "suspend=y" option is the cause of the behaviour that you
are seeing.

IIRC, with that option Java stops and waits for a debugger just after
JVM launch. I think that in Eclipse you can look into "threads" view,
find a running (stopped) "main" thread there and hit a green button to
resume it.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko