tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Eric Robinson <eric.robin...@psmnv.com>
Subject RE: Is it Normal for Tomcat 8 to Use 20-80% More Memory Than Tomcat 6?
Date Fri, 22 Dec 2017 19:59:24 GMT
> > From: Eric Robinson [mailto:eric.robinson@psmnv.com]
> > Subject: RE: Is it Normal for Tomcat 8 to Use 20-80% More Memory Than
> Tomcat 6?
>
> > if JVM instance "A" is configured as follows on server 1 under tomcat6/jdk
> 1.6, then
> > instance "A" on server 2 is configured the same, except it is running
> under tomcat
> > 8/jdk 1.8. Yet the tomcat 8 ones used 50% more memory, on average.
>
> > JAVA_OPTS="-Xms16M -Xmx192M \
> >         -XX:MaxPermSize=192M \
>
> Note that PermGen is no longer used in Java 8, and the above should log a
> warning:
>
> Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM warning: ignoring option
> MaxPermSize=192m;
> support was removed in 8.0

Great tip, thanks.

Unfortunately, I don't think that explains why the exact same Xms and Xmx settings produce
vastly different resident and virtual running image sizes under jdk1.8 versus jdk1.6.

> It might be leaking.

If that were the case, I assume it would manifest under tomcat6/jdk 1.6 as well. Since it
does not, I am inclined to think leakage is not the issue.

--Eric