tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Guy Mac <g...@arizona.edu>
Subject encrypting passwords in tomcat-users.xml
Date Mon, 20 Nov 2017 18:23:06 GMT
I'm failing to figure out how to encrypt passwords for (slightly)
different versions of Tomcat 8.0.x on different platforms.

With Tomcat 8.0.37 on MacOS, I run digest.sh with a password, placing
the output in tomcat-users, and update the Realm for the Catalina engine to:
       <Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.LockOutRealm">
resourceName="UserDatabase">
           <CredentialHandler
className="org.apache.catalina.realm.MessageDigestCredentialHandler"
algorithm="SHA-512"/>
         </Realm>
       </Realm>

and that all works just fine.

But when I try to repeat the steps for Tomcat 8.0.14-1 on Linux
(Debian), it does not work. How do I encrypt passwords for this version
of Tomcat?