tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: The case of disappearing JARs
Date Mon, 06 Nov 2017 13:05:42 GMT
On 03/11/17 21:15, David Morris wrote:

> I've got a case of disappearing JARs from my webapps lib folder which I can't seem to
solve, hopefully someone on the list can provide some pointers.

> We've got a number of webapps which are deployed by an installer already exploded (The
war is exploded and wrapped by the installer) without the WAR been deployed.  We are using
tomcat 8.0 running as multiple instances, all configured with them running as windows services.

> The environment is a virtualised environment running on Windows Server 2012 with the
VMs stored and running from a SAN.  Generally everything works as expected, we can start and
stop the services, restart the VMs with no problems.  However whenever there has been a power
failure (I don't know what would shut down first the SAN or the VM hosts when the UPS runs
out) on restart, when the services start back, up some or all of the JARs from the deployed
apps have gone.

> In the latest instance of this happening,  the VM it occurred on had 5 instances of Tomcat
running, however only 1 tomcat instance had missing JARs.  Within this was two webapps, 1
was missing 1 library the other was missing all 80 which obviously caused them not to work.
 None of the other files within the webapp are effected and it's happened with different webapps
on different VMs but configured the same way (explored WAR from an installer)

> My question is, can this be caused by Tomcat at all, eg is it trying to undeploy for
some reason or is the answer somewhere else in the environment?

There are circumstances in which Tomcat will attempt to remove a
deployed web application. There are a lot of permutations and
combinations. See:

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-9.0-doc/config/automatic-deployment.html#Deleted_files

I suspect that at some point during the power failure you are hitting
one of those conditions. The varied behaviour of the nodes is probably a
combination of when the node checks for deleted files and what it
manages to do before power is completely lost.

There might be something in the logs but again that could be lost during
the power failure.

If it is an option, it would be worth considering disabling automatic
deployment.

Mark