tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Adam Pease <ape...@articulatesoftware.com>
Subject Re: installing certificates
Date Mon, 09 Oct 2017 22:13:37 GMT
Hi Chris,
   Many thanks for the quick response!  There's a lot of new terminology
(to me) to all this and it's quite confusing I'm afraid.

   I tried Let's Encrypt just now but since I'm running Tomcat sites
either I'm not doing it right, or it doesn't know how to verify domains
when they don't answer on port 80.  So I get "The server could not
connect to the client to verify the domain :: Timeout"
   Following the process at "gethttpsforfree.com" resulted in two long
hex keys: one titled "Signed Certificate" and one titled "Intermediate
Certificate".  I'm not sure what a "server certificate" is.  Is that a
public/private key pair that I generated at the beginning of this
process with

openssl genrsa 4096 > account.key

or what I did at the beginning of the tomcat instructions

$JAVA_HOME/bin/keytool -genkey -alias tomcat -keyalg RSA

But that generates a .keystore file which is already a parameter to the
failing command.

I really appreciate your help.

all the best,
Adam