tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jerry Malcolm <techst...@malcolms.com>
Subject Refreshing webapps slows server
Date Wed, 23 Aug 2017 16:29:43 GMT
I have a very weird situation.  I have a  staging server and a
production server running on the same instance of TC (8.0).  When I'm
doing development and testing on the staging server, I'm often replacing
jar files and JSPs in the various webapps running on the staging server
(I don't reupload full WAR files each time... just incremental jar/jsp
changes).  TC recognizes the updated jar files and reloads.  Both
production and development sites continue to function (including using
the new updated jars, etc).  But over time, Tomcat starts getting slower
and slower in response time, sometimes hitting an OutofMemory error.
Response time on a request goes from milliseconds to 20+ seconds.
Bouncing TC fixes everything.

This is somewhat circumstantial.  But TC will run fine for days and
never hits OutofMemory situations.  But as soon as I start replacing
webapp jar files, things start going bad.  So it appears that the issue
is caused by replacing jar files.

Is this a recognized situation?  I don't want to have to bounce the
production site every time I refresh the staging code.  But I need to
test updates on the staging site on the same server.  Are there
alternatives to keep this slowdown from occurring? Suggestions?

Thx.

Jerry