tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Bourg <ebo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Where Tomcat webapp contexts live on Debian
Date Tue, 22 Aug 2017 20:55:43 GMT
On 08/16/2017 09:24 AM, Leon Rosenberg wrote:
> Debian has a long tradition of doing things in a very special way when it
> comes to java. Long enough they shipped GnuJ as standard JVM with a debian
> distribution, a piece of garbage that wasn't able to start simplest of java
> programs.

GCJ has been superseded by OpenJDK a loooong time ago as the default
Java runtime on Debian.

> But there has been an as long tradition to reply to every question about
> tomcat behaviour on a specific distribution by suggesting to throw the crap
> away and download the vanilla tomcat form the one and only legal source ;-)
> (at least in the past, to which debian belongs).

FWIW, there is now a Tomcat committer maintaining the Tomcat package in
Debian and controlling its quality. If you think there is something
crappy about the packaging feel free to send a mail to me or to the
debian-java@lists.debian.org and I'll be happy to help.

Emmanuel Bourg