tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Do symlinks under aliased directories require any special handing/configuration (tomcat = 7.0.56)?
Date Thu, 20 Jul 2017 10:14:58 GMT
On 19/07/17 22:28, Terence Lee wrote:
> Please forgive any misuse of terminology here.  I am a sysadmin involved in devops deployments
of tomcat servers and applications, but I don't really know much about how tomcat actually
works.  I am a unix guy!

> We recently had a deployment of a third party application that resulted in tomcat throwing
404 errors on any content of a symlinked directory that was contained in/under an aliased
path.  It seems to me that it is something in the app configuration gone awry, but the vendor
claims not.  So I am casting about for some information here after not coming up with anything
definitive in the docs or by act of google.

> Example:
>
> 1) The context.xml for the root context has the following:
>
> aliases="/static=/pnas/legacy/static"
>
> 2) /pnas/legacy/static/ has a symlinked directory that functions as expected at the o/s
level:

> [root@exampleserver]# ls -lad /pnas/legacy/static/Digital
> lrwxrwxrwx. 1 appsrv apps 34 Jul 17 21:40 /pnas/legacy/static/Digital -> /pnas/editorial/Digital/
>
> 3) tomcat runs as the appsrv user and all files in /pnas/editorial/Digital/ are owned
by appsrv:apps, so we would expect <webroot>/static/Digital/* to be accessible without
error

> 4) attempts to access files in <webroot>/static/Digital result in a 404 error ...
but this was not the case before this last app deploy

> 5) reverting the build of the app is not possible as it was one part of a really big
multiheaded deployment.  We can work around the issue but accrue signifcant technical debt
as a result.

> 6) Versions of anything relevant other than the app itself have not changed:
>      tomcat = 7.0.56
>      java = 1.7.0_71
>      o/s = Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.8 (Santiago) 2.6.32-642.11.1.el6.x86_64
>
> Question:
>
> Does the use of symlinks under aliases require some like an "allowLinking" attribute
or something else that could have misconfigured in the app?

Yes. allowLinking applies to aliases as well as the Context's docBase.

> The docs don't really address this case and I can only find reference to "allowLinking"
affecting material symlinked directlly in or under the web context root.   Aliases appear
to be suggested as an alternative and symlinks under an alias are not specifically addressed
(that I have seen).

> Any thoughts are appreciated and please do pardon any tomcat vocabulary that I may have
injured in this effort to pose a question.

No problem. The question was clearly stated and easily understood.

Mark