tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Scott, Derric T" <Derric.Sc...@fisglobal.com>
Subject RE: Question on FORM POST processing via AJP1.3 in tomcat 1.0.69, changed from 1.014.
Date Tue, 28 Mar 2017 14:36:39 GMT
I am so sorry about the version numbers.... those are 7!   7.0.14 and 7.0.69....

tomcat-7.0.69-10.el7.noarch

Thanks for the replies, sorry for the confusion....

____________________________________
Derric Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: André Warnier (tomcat) [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com]
Sent: Monday, March 27, 2017 4:11 PM
To: users@tomcat.apache.org
Subject: Re: Question on FORM POST processing via AJP1.3 in tomcat 1.0.69, changed from 1.014.

On 27.03.2017 23:03, Scott, Derric T wrote:
> Hello:
>
> A question, perhaps a bug...
>
> I inherited a large application that has Apache in front, tomcat in back via AJP1.3.
 I am moving everything to
> "new" verisons.   A new RedHat OS, newest tomcat RPM (7.0.69), etc.
>
> I ran into a snag and finally identified the culprit.  The tomcat on the backend went
from 1.0.14 to 1.0.69.

As far as I know, there exists no such Tomcat version. Where did you get this from ?
(The current version is 8.5.(something)), major versions before that were 8.0.x, 7.0.x,
6.0.x,..)

> As I understand HTTP/HTML, a FORM is POSTed with two packets, the
> second one is "DATA" - at least that is what I see from tcpdump, etc.  Note - this is
only via the AJP1.3 port 8009.  Access via port 8080 works fine.

> The bottom line is that a FORM, submitted using POST via AJP, with NO
> "DATA" packet, does NOT process as a form submission, but instead
> returns a 400 HTTP error.  This is the code that is working now on 1.0.14, but will not
work on 1.0.69.

> After a lot of experimentation, I determined that if I added ANYTHING
> that produced a "DATA" packet, then it would work correctly.  First example:
> <form action="/abcd/JavaClassToCall" method="post">
>         <input type="submit" value="Do the Java Thing"
> style="font-size: 9pt;"> </form> This fails with 400 error.
>
> Simply "naming" the submit button causes a "data" packet to be sent:
>         <input type="submit" name="submitbutton" value="Do the Java
> Thing" style="font-size: 9pt;"> Causes success - and it makes a "DATA" packet to be
sent with the value of the button variable:
>         submitbutton="Do the Java Thing"

First thing is : it is not really a "data packet". It is just a HTTP POST with/without body
(content).

> Second case is a completely blank form without even a submit button, called by a javascript
routine.
> Same results.  If I add any variable, say a hidden variable of "blah" with a value, it
then works.

> SO, question ...  between tomcat 1.0.14 and 1.0.69, what changed such that the behavior
of the "POST"
> data processing changed?   Is the current behavior correct and the old was wrong, or
vice versa?
> Short of touching some untold number of forms in this large
> application, is there any way to force correct behavior, preferably via tomcat configs
or something?

The first thing we would need to ascertain, is that you are really talking about tomcat.
The versions above introduce a doubt..

> Thanks!
>
> Derric
>

> The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidential. If you
are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message and all copies; (ii) do not
disclose, distribute or use the message in any manner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately.
In addition, please be aware that any message addressed to our domain is subject to archiving
and review by persons other than the intended recipient. Thank you.

by persons other than the intended recipient. Thank you.