tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Handling wildcard domains in Tomcat 8.0
Date Sun, 05 Mar 2017 18:56:42 GMT
On 05/03/17 18:37, Nick Johnson wrote:

Please configure your e-mail client to quote text you reply to. It makes
conversations much easier to follow.

>> On Mar 5, 2017 9:50 AM, "Mark Thomas" <markt@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> On 04/03/17 04:33, Nick Johnson wrote:
>>> Greetings,
>>>
>>> I have observed that with the default configuration where the <Host> name
>>> is 'localhost', Tomcat will change the Host and X-Forwarded-Host headers
>>> the IP address of the local machine.
>>
>> That is not correct. Tomcat makes no changes to the Host or
>> X-Forwarded-Host header it receives in the default configuration.
>
> Are there any configuration modifications that could cause this behavior to
> manifest?

The RemoteIpValve and RemoteIpFilter will modify the values an
application sees for those headers.

> Running nc or tcpdump on the command line, I see the correct Host and
> X-Forwarded-Host headers arriving for Tomcat, but from my application, the
> Host header and X-Forwarded-Host header both contain the IP address of the
> local machine.

How are you obtaining the header values?

> Using the same war file in a different container (Jetty), I do not observe
> this behavior.
>
> I also do not observe this behavior if the Host header matches either the
> <Host> name or an <Alias> name.

Those have no impact on the value of the HTTP Host header.

Mark