tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Martin Knoblauch <kn...@knobisoft.de>
Subject Getting application root path before servlet is initialized?
Date Tue, 21 Feb 2017 13:31:16 GMT
Hi,

 is there a way to find the absolute path of the application root before
the servlet is initialized?

Alternatively: is there a way to defer the initialization of a datasource
until the servlet is initialized?

Background: I have extended "org.apache.tomcat.jdbc.pool.DataSourceFactory"
to automatically set credentials so that they are not stored in the
"Catalina/localhost/XXX.xml" file. Instead they are taken from encrypted
values in a file below the application root. Works fine if I know that path
at "createDataSource" time.

In order to avoid hard coding that path, I need a programmatic to find that
value. Unfortunately the datasource is initialized before the servlet, so
"getRealPath()" is not working yet.

Environment is Tomcat 8 plus JDK 8. Plus an commercial application that I
do not want to name :-)

Thanks in advance
Martin
Martin Knoblauch