tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: log4j in Tomcat 8.5
Date Fri, 03 Feb 2017 02:01:12 GMT
On 02/02/17 21:53, George Stanchev wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am transitioning from Tomcat 7.0 to Tomcat 8.5 and I was wondering what do I need to
do to use log4j in 8.5. Reading this bug [1], it states that the support for the for log4j
has been dropped since it is EOLed. Now, there is a comment on this issue from Mark that says
that it is applied against version 9, but this bug was referenced from the changelog for 8.5
[2] that states:

> <quote>
> Correct a regression in the fix for 58588 that removed the entire org.apache.juli package
from the embedded JARs rendering them unusable. (markt)
> </quote>
>
> which implies it has been applied to 8.5. So my question is, can I make Tomcat 8.5 use
log4j?

log4j - no

log4j2 - yes

You'll need to use the standard log4j2 mechanism to capture
java.util.logging output and redirect it.

Mark