tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <>
Subject Re: JSP compilation fails with Java 9
Date Mon, 09 Jan 2017 12:10:19 GMT
On 09/01/2017 07:16, Patil, Shital wrote:
> We are assessing Java 9(early access) and JSP compilation is badly
> broken with Java 9. Even basic java objects(java.lang.Object) are not
> accessible while compilation. Appears to be because of
> jigsaw(modular)
> Any solution or alternative to this problem ?

As far as I am aware, the JDT compiler that Jasper uses by default does
not yet support Java 9.

You should be able to configure Jasper to use javac for Java 9.

>From memory (I tested this some time ago), a basic JSP worked with Java
9. Whether more complex JSPs might hit some Jigsaw related issues is
TBD. Worst case, you should be able to work-around them with command
line options when starting Tomcat.

I've looked at Java 9 support a couple of times but partly because it is
still in a state of flux and partly because the JDT support was not
there I haven't taken it very far.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message