tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier (tomcat) ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Cannot Allocate Memory errno=12
Date Wed, 18 Jan 2017 14:10:18 GMT
On 18.01.2017 14:51, André Warnier (tomcat) wrote:
> Actually, I think that you need to look closer at the tomcat shutdown scripts on your
> system, and their settings.
> If I remember correctly, when you call the tomcat shutdown script, it actually starts
> another java JVM instance, just to send a shutdown message to the running tomcat's JVM.
> And with your current JAVA_OPTS, it looks like this shutdown JVM is also requesting a
Java
> heap with an initial size of 8 GB.  And that is what may trigger this OOM.
> There is something in that area about the difference between JAVA_OPTS and CATALINA_OPTS.

Additional information :
(I have now found it again)

Somewhere in your tomcat software directory (which may be anywhere, depending on where you

got this tomcat from), there is a file named "RUNNING.txt".
In this file is a section which I copy below here, in case you are having trouble finding

it.  It explains what happens with these JAVA_OPTS and CATALINA_OPTS environment
variables. In particular the last paragraph.

quote

(3.3) Other variables (optional)

Other environment variables exist, besides the four described above.
See the comments at the top of catalina.bat or catalina.sh scripts for
the list and a description of each of them.

One frequently used variable is CATALINA_OPTS. It allows specification of
additional options for the java command that starts Tomcat.

See the Java documentation for the options that affect the Java Runtime
Environment.

See the "System Properties" page in the Tomcat Configuration Reference for
the system properties that are specific to Tomcat.

A similar variable is JAVA_OPTS. It is used less frequently. It allows
specification of options that are used both to start and to stop Tomcat as well
as for other commands.

Note: Do not use JAVA_OPTS to specify memory limits. You do not need much
memory for a small process that is used to stop Tomcat. Those settings
belong to CATALINA_OPTS.

unquote