tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier (tomcat) ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Suggested doc change for Connectors
Date Wed, 18 Jan 2017 11:34:54 GMT
Hi.

This is a partial recap of the theme discussed on the list, in this thread :
http://marc.info/?l=tomcat-user&m=148473249120783&w=2

I would sugest a documentation change, basically in all pages related to Connector's
configurations, from 9.0, and I believe all the way back to 6.0.

The change relates to the "minSpareThreads" attribute of the Connectors, such as

and the suggestion is based on :
http://tomcat.apache.org/migration-6.html#Connector_thread_pools

Basically, each of the Connector pages repeats the same text about this attribute :

quote

minSpareThreads

The minimum number of threads always kept running. If not specified, the default of 10 is

used. If an executor is associated with this connector, this attribute is ignored as the
connector will execute tasks using the executor rather than an internal thread pool. Note

that if an executor is configured any value set for this attribute will be recorded
correctly but it will be reported (e.g. via JMX) as -1 to make clear that it is not used.

unquote

So,
- if there is an Executor, then this Connector attribute is ignored
- but according to the above migration guide, if there is no Executor, it is also ignored.

So basically, why have it ?

Of course, I don't know if there is some deeper code reason to keep mentioning it in the
Connectors' documentations.  Which is why this is a suggestion.

Maybe instead, it could be made clearer that if there is no Executor, the number of
threads associated to a Connector may keep on growing over time, up to the maxThreads
value, and never go down again.
(And the nefarious/beneficial/neutral effects thereof ?)