tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier (tomcat) ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: FW: tomcat 8080 thread not reduced
Date Mon, 16 Jan 2017 10:24:43 GMT
On 16.01.2017 11:10, smith wrote:
> We has same problem on dev env that no any traffic to the serive,

Ah. That is /new/ information, which may change the suggestions below.
It looks like you should really find out what these threads are doing, probably by doing a

few thread dumps.
See here e.g. : http://stackoverflow.com/questions/18573411/tomcat-thread-dump

Again : we do not know your application, so we can only make guesses based on the
information that you provide.

  will try on dev first

are, what these clients are really requesting, how many requests each client is sending before
going away, etc.

> KeepAlive means that when a client has sent its /last/ request and received the response,
one thread is going to remain "not free" (but doing nothing) for the duration of the KeepAlive
timeout. This thread will keep waiting, for KeepAliveTimeout seconds, just in case the client
would still send another request (which it may never do, depending on the application).

> Imagine that your application is so that the average client
> - connects to your site
> - sends a single HTTP request, which gets processed in 0.1 s
> - receives the response
> - and then goes away
> and that the above sequence happens once every second, from different clients.
> After one second, there will be one thread waiting for another 19 seconds before becoming
free (and potentially destroyed or re-used). After 2 seconds, there will be 2 such threads.
After 3 seconds, 3 threads. And so on. After 20 seconds, the first thread will be freed, but
there will be 19 other threads still waiting, and one new thread just created.
> If everything stays perfectly regular like that, your will have /permanently/ 20 threads
in existence, even if the minimum is 10.
> If you change the above so that there is a new client every 0.5 s, you will have permanently
40 threads (of which only 2 maximum are really doing something).

> The point is : KeepAlive is not "bad", and in some cases having a relatively long KeepAliveTimeout
is the right thing to do.  Also, having a high number of threads sitting idle is not necessarily
a problem.
> Your own scenario is probably not like the above perfectly regular and irrealistic one
above. But there may be a perfectly logical reason why you have so many threads on average,
and I am just trying to give you ideas for finding out the reason.

+08:00 发件人 André Warnier (tomcat)  aw@ice-sa.com :

SSLEngine="on" />
APIs-->

one or more named thread pools-->

that processes

AJP ie :

docBase="/****/t" sessionCookieName="****" />

period of time, the thread count for 8080(our port published) goes to 120 and never reduced
even the busy count is only 3-4.

and the minSpareThreads for tomcat8 default is only 10.

things removed), so that we could have a useful look at it.