tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier (tomcat) ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: FW: tomcat 8080 thread not reduced
Date Sun, 15 Jan 2017 19:01:43 GMT
Hi.

I can find nothing really wrong in your configuration below.
But, what happens if in this section :

 >      <Connector port="8080" protocol="HTTP/1.1"
 >                 maxThreads="300" connectionTimeout="20000"
 >                 redirectPort="8443" />

you change the connectionTimeout to 3000 (= 3 seconds, instead of the above 20 seconds) ?

Do you still see the number of threads remaining at the maximum ?

See : http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.0-doc/config/http.html#Standard_Implementation
--> connectionTimeout
and the fact that it is also the default for
keepAliveTimeout

On 14.01.2017 07:30, smith wrote:
> [...]
>      <!-- A "Connector" using the shared thread pool-->
>      <!--
>      <Connector executor="tomcatThreadPool"
>                 port="8080" protocol="HTTP/1.1"
>                 connectionTimeout="20000"
>                 redirectPort="8443" />
>      -->
>      <!-- Define a SSL HTTP/1.1 Connector on port 8443
>           This connector uses the NIO implementation that requires the JSSE
>           style configuration. When using the APR/native implementation, the
>           OpenSSL style configuration is required as described in the APR/native
>           documentation -->
>      <!--
>      <Connector port="8443" protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11NioProtocol"
>                 maxThreads="150" SSLEnabled="true" scheme="https" secure="true"
>                 clientAuth="false" sslProtocol="TLS" />
>      -->
>
>      <!-- Define an AJP 1.3 Connector on port 8009 -->
>      <Connector port="8009" protocol="AJP/1.3" redirectPort="8443" />
>

>      <!-- An Engine represents the entry point (within Catalina) that processes
>           every request.  The Engine implementation for Tomcat stand alone
>           analyzes the HTTP headers included with the request, and passes them
>           on to the appropriate Host (virtual host).
>           Documentation at /docs/config/engine.html -->
>
>      <!-- You should set jvmRoute to support load-balancing via AJP ie :
>      <Engine name="Catalina" defaultHost="localhost" jvmRoute="jvm1">
>      -->
>      <Engine name="Catalina" defaultHost="localhost">
>
>        <!--For clustering, please take a look at documentation at:
>            /docs/cluster-howto.html  (simple how to)
>            /docs/config/cluster.html (reference documentation) -->
>        <!--
>        <Cluster className="org.apache.catalina.ha.tcp.SimpleTcpCluster"/>
>        -->
>
>        <!-- Use the LockOutRealm to prevent attempts to guess user passwords
>             via a brute-force attack -->
>        <Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.LockOutRealm">
>          <!-- This Realm uses the UserDatabase configured in the global JNDI
>               resources under the key "UserDatabase".  Any edits
>               that are performed against this UserDatabase are immediately
>               available for use by the Realm.  -->
>          <Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.UserDatabaseRealm"
>                 resourceName="UserDatabase"/>
>        </Realm>
>
>        <Host name="localhost"  appBase="webapps"
>              unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true">
>
>          <!-- SingleSignOn valve, share authentication between web applications
>               Documentation at: /docs/config/valve.html -->
>          <!--
>          <Valve className="org.apache.catalina.authenticator.SingleSignOn" />
>          -->
>
>          <!-- Access log processes all example.
>               Documentation at: /docs/config/valve.html
>               Note: The pattern used is equivalent to using pattern="common" -->
>
> 	<Valve className="org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve" directory="logs"
>                 prefix="localhost_access_log" suffix=".txt"
>                 pattern="%h,%t,%m,%U,%H,%s,%B,%D,%{User-Agent}i" />

the thread count for 8080(our port published) goes to 120 and never reduced even the busy
count is only 3-4.

>> Why? Tomcat8 not reduced the thread pool even the thread is idle, and the minSpareThreads
for tomcat8 default is only 10.

>> When will the thread reduce?
>>

>> Best regards
>>
>> Smith
>>

> Hi.
>
> Please copy/paste your complete server.xml configuration file (confidential things removed),
so that we could have a useful look at it.