tomcat-users mailing list archives

Subject Re: 404 errors accessing webapp URLs using local IP address on fresh Tomcat 8.5.9 install
Date Mon, 09 Jan 2017 06:06:09 GMT
I should mention that to configure hostB (e.g. to listen to hostA (e.g.,
I simply added

to hostB httpd.conf file. I did not create a virtual host (is that OK?). I also didn't modify
httpd.conf on hostA.

----- Original Message -----

To: "Tomcat Users List" <>
Sent: Sunday, January 8, 2017 9:57:32 PM
Subject: 404 errors accessing webapp URLs using local IP address on fresh Tomcat 8.5.9 install

I have two Linux servers connected via a cross-connect cable with internal IP addresses
(hostA) and (hostB).

hostA runs CentOS 5, and hostB CentOS 7.

hostB runs Apache 2.4.x, and Tomcat 8.5.9. All web traffic gets routed to port 443 (e.g. HTTPS)
of Apache web server hostB. All web application traffic (e.g.
is then passed to Tomcat via mod_jk version 1.2.42 on port 8009. Additionally, hostB Apache
web server is configured to listen on port 8009 (hostA Apache web server is not
configured as such).

If hostA attempts to access a webpage on hostB (via hostB external IP address) from a browser
or command line, such as:
[root@hostA ~]# curl -I

it returns status 200 (good).

Now, if I modify the hostA /etc/hosts file hostA accesses to my website (
on hostB through the cross-connect cable (e.g. rather than the external IP address),
the webpage returns error 404.

What can I change to get status 200?

My web addresses are (e.g. IPv4). I know Tomcat configures IPv6 by default.
So, I modified the as follows:

CATALINA_OPTS="-Xms512M -Xmx1024M -Djava.awt.headless=true"

This didn't change the result.

As another clue, I observe that hostA always reports status 200 (good) when accessing any
hostB webpage in that is NOT part of /mywebapp, for both internal and external
IP addresses.

Any ideas what I can try to resolve this? I'm new to Tomcat and this is fresh install (previously
used GlassFish) on a brand new server. Thanks in advance for any advice.