tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier (tomcat) ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: AW: Using WebDAV in Tomcat 7.0.45
Date Fri, 11 Nov 2016 13:05:45 GMT
On 11.11.2016 12:49, Arno Schäfer wrote:
> Hi André,
>
> you are right, I have missed this part of the puzzle. Thanks for that explanation, so
it is clear for me now, what I have to do.
> If I use the actual Word or Libre Office with a docx file from the webda URI from our
server it works :-), so I have to change
> My 'save document' code in our client only.
> The permissions, what files are accessible, I want to decide in my special filter for
the WebDAV request or is that a bad
> choice?
> My client site is only Windows, so I know that my special client, what open this web
file, is registered for our own extension.
> So can I use this, to open our client directly from the browser?

Hi Arno.
Your original question was related to Tomcat and its DAV module/application, and I am glad

that I could guess where your problem seemed to be, and provide some pointers so that you

could resolve that problem.
But as to your additional questions above, I am afraid that I cannot help further.
They are questions more related to your specific infrastructure, what you are planning to

use this for, in what exact circumstances, with what kind of security etc..

I believe that you now have the tools, and a basic understanding of how they work at the
basic level. But that is only a small part of the whole application schema that you are
mentioning above.

DAV (or WebDAV), in itself, stands for Distributed Authoring and Versioning. It was
originally designed mainly as a tool to help people to remotely edit the HTML pages of a
website, and be able to do so using the same HTTP connection which is already used by the

website itself (thus avoiding separate connections via FTP, SFTP, SCP etc. and the
corresponding user access and permissions setup).
But in itself, DAV does not have all the features which are needed to do this in a safe,
multi-user scenario.

For example :
- with what you seem to be planning, you would have to consider what would happen if two
people at the same time downloaded one of these documents, and then each one would
separately edit it, and then re-upload it to the server. How would you prevent the changes

of the first user, being overwritten by the second user ?
- you also mention "opening this kind of file directly with your special client", with the

browser acting as a go-between.  That is possible, but it requires changing some settings

at the client side.  Is this feasible, in the scenario which you seem to have in mind ?

I had a quick look at what I think is your website, and it seems to me that you should be

able to find, within your own organisation, someone who could help you analyse this
further, and answering the above questions better than someone on this generic Tomcat
Users list could do.

Maybe you should also have a look at some pre-existing applications, which are designed to

do exactly the kind of thing which you seem to have in mind.  I know that it is
intellectually less rewarding than trying to figure it all out by yourself, but you would

probably save yourself a lot of time and problems which others have already resolved.
I saw "Atlassian tools" somewhere on the website. That may be a good place to start.