tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier (tomcat) ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: MaxInactiveInterval
Date Sun, 06 Nov 2016 11:24:07 GMT
On 04.11.2016 20:06, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 04/11/2016 15:53, Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>>> From: Mark Thomas [mailto:markt@apache.org] Subject: Re:
>>> MaxInactiveInterval

>>> Set it in web.xml. Same with distributable.
>>
>> This really appears to be a problem in the servlet spec (not
>> surprising), which mentions the getMaxInactiveInterval() and
>> setMaxInactiveInterval() APIs but only vaguely ties them to the
>> session-timeout element of session-config.  Tomcat doc does not
>> normally describe the nuances of the servlet spec, but something that
>> associates the config name with the API might be useful.
>
> To be fair, Tomcat isn't helping here. We used to have these attributes
> on the (session) manager but we removed with the expectation that they
> would be configured in web.xml. We could have done a better job of
> pointing to the expected locations.
>
> I did say "patches welcome" to André but since he is a committer that
> should have been "commits welcome" ;)

Guys, you all know my level of (in)competence in matters deeply Java.
I got my kudos by trying to help people in a general sense here, but when things seem to
involve specific parts deep down the Tomcat code, I have to call for help.

What I know is this, from the Servlet Specs 3.0 final :

quote

12. session-config Element

The session-config defines the session parameters for this Web application.
The sub-element *session-timeout* defines the default session time out interval
for all sessions created in this Web application. The specified time out must be
expressed in a whole number of minutes. If the time out is 0 or less, the container
ensures the default behavior of sessions is never to time out. If this element is not
specified, the container must set its default time out period.

unquote

So it appears that there is a difference between :
- the WEB-INF/web.xml of a webapp specifying a session-timeout > 0, in minutes
- the WEB-INF/web.xml of a webapp specifying a session-timeout =< 0 (meaning, no timeout

or "infinite")
- the WEB-INF/web.xml of a webapp not specifying a session-timeout (container should
supply a default value)

Which thus raises the question : if a web application does not set the session-timeout,
what value is returned by Tomcat for getMaxInactiveInterval() ?

And the auxiliary question : can this (default) value be set somewhere in the
configuration, or is this set in code ?

(Or is that the one that is set in (tomcat)/conf/web.xml :
     <session-config>
         <session-timeout>30</session-timeout>
     </session-config>
?)
(and what happens if we remove that stanza from conf/web.xml ?)