tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Arno Schäfer <Arno.Schae...@sqs.com>
Subject AW: AW: Using WebDAV in Tomcat 7.0.45
Date Fri, 11 Nov 2016 15:08:19 GMT
Hi André,

many thanks for your thought's, but my requirement is not so complex and difficult like it
could be.

> DAV (or WebDAV), in itself, stands for Distributed Authoring and Versioning. It was originally
designed mainly
> as a tool to help people to remotely edit the HTML pages of a website, and be able to
do so using the same
> HTTP connection which is already used by the website itself (thus avoiding separate connections
via FTP, SFTP,
> SCP etc. and the corresponding user access and permissions setup).
> But in itself, DAV does not have all the features which are needed to do this in a safe,
multi-user scenario.

It is a big internal and 15 year old webserver, where I want to implement exactly this purpose,
what you are talking
about. DAV should be used instead of share's, like it is today. This service is only used
internally and will never become a public
service, so from the security site I have no such strange requirements. Parallel access for
writing will be solved with a simple
locking mechanism, because it is relatively seldom, that more than one person work on the
same item and then it is acceptable,
that the first owner blocks the file til he is ready.

At least I have tried a little bit around to make our client (written in Java) able to send
DAV request, but this failed til now,
because it seems, that I have to write my own ' DavURLConnection', because the 'HttpURLConnection'
can't handle the
additional requests. Do you know, if some Java library for DAV clients exist. I haven't found
any lightweight solution til now.
To get the data and edit them, it is very strait forward and works fine for me :-)

Many thanks for your patience

Arno