tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Host appBase vs. Context docBase
Date Fri, 07 Oct 2016 19:39:10 GMT
> From: Igal @ Lucee.org [mailto:igal@lucee.org]
> Subject: Host appBase vs. Context docBase

> Suppose that I have an application at C:\WebApps\App1

Suppose you tell us your Tomcat version.

> <!-- option 1 !-->
> <Host name="App1"appBase="C:\WebApps\App1" autoDeploy="false">
> </Host>

> <!-- option 2 !-->
> <Host name="App1" autoDeploy="false">
>       <Context path=""docBase="C:\WebApps\App1" />
> </Host>

Both of the above are incorrect.  It is highly unlikely that you want the <Host> name
to be App1.  The appBase attribute of <Host> must point to a directory where one or
more webapps are located for automatic deployment.  It must never point to a specific webapp.
 The path attribute of the <Context> element must not be used unless the <Context>
element is in server.xml, which it should not be.  The docBase attribute is used only when
the <Context> element is located in conf/Catalina/[host]/[appName].xml.

You need to read the documentation for <Context>, <Host>, and deployment for the
Tomcat version you're using.

 - Chuck