tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle, James A" <james.a.bo...@baml.com>
Subject Performance Issue - Tomcat 8 - Java 8 Web app with client side applet
Date Wed, 05 Oct 2016 14:16:53 GMT
Hello,
               I have a web application compiled under Java 1.8 running in a Tomcat 8 container
on a Linux web server. The client side devices are Windows 7 desktops with USB attached printers.
The basic operation is a query to a SQL Server database for the relevant address and then
to print the information on an attached printer (Zebra ZM400 or ZP505). The first time through
the print control on the screen activates pretty quickly, but successive retrievals introduce
a 10-15 second delay before the label can be printed. The application is deployed as a WAR
file and the print applet is signed with SHA-2. The prevailing theory is that the applet is
being downloaded for each label being printed and that this is introducing the performance
delay we are seeing. Is there a way to properly cache the applet, so that it does not need
to be downloaded to the client workstation each time? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Jim

This message, and any attachments, is for the intended recipient(s) only, may contain information
that is privileged, confidential and/or proprietary and subject to important terms and conditions
available at http://www.bankofamerica.com/emaildisclaimer.   If you are not the intended recipient,
please delete this message.