tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Campbell, Lance" <la...@illinois.edu>
Subject how to write a valve
Date Thu, 13 Oct 2016 15:04:13 GMT
Tomcat 8.0.38

In my Eclipse development environment when particular servlet requests are made I want to
simulate going through Shibboleth prior to Tomcat handling the request.  I wanted to see if
this will work.

In Eclipse within each dynamic web application I would add a valve to the context.xml file.

The valve would:

1)      Check the URL request.

2)      If the URL string matches a list then it will add particular name value pairs to the
request.

Example of a possible valve:

<Valve className="my.valves.ShibbolethSimulationValve" />

1)      Can a valve actually identify a particular URL path?

2)      Can a valve add an attribute to the request prior to the servlet getting the request?

3)      If item #1 and #2 will work does anyone have some base code for a value that would
get me started down the correct path?

Thanks for all of your help.

Lance Campbell
Web Services