tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Igal @ Lucee.org" <i...@lucee.org>
Subject Re: Setting up a Context outside of webapps
Date Fri, 21 Oct 2016 19:41:06 GMT
Chris,

> I'm not sure anyone else's opinion matters at this point. You've
> decided what you want to do... you're just looking for validation.
> Technically, this works. Whether there are better ways to do it are
> debatable.
I've been running Tomcat for almost 10 years now, and this works for me
well, having separate directory trees for software, config files, and
web documents.

So yes, I've decided what I want to do.  But I want to make sure that
there are no unintended consequences of which I'm unaware.

> But you're not interested in anyone else's opinon, so why
> bother asking?
That's because I'm not looking for an opinion of users who've found some
config files online and copied/pasted them to their server. I'm looking
for an opinion of someone who knows the inner workings of Tomcat, e.g.
someone from the core team members.

So far no one has shown me how they set up Tomcat in a directory outside
of $CATALINA_BASE.  The few "opinions" that I received say that my web
directories should reside inside $CATALINA_BASE/webapps, which as you
stated -- I've already decided that is not what I want.

> How many different ways are there to demonstrate:
>
> <Host>
>    <Context />
> </Host>
>
> ??
How exactly does that show how to specify where the web root will be,
and have it outside of $CATALINA_BASE/webapps?

My question, at least the 2nd time around, is in my opinion very clear
and very valid.  It'd be really great if someone can provide a real
answer rather than post a couple of links to the docs (I have access to
google too), or tell me that I'm just "doing it wrong".

Sincerely,

Igal