tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier (tomcat) ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space
Date Thu, 20 Oct 2016 10:33:23 GMT
On 20.10.2016 12:00, Moore, Jon, Vodafone UK wrote:
> I have a problem where our customers application server stops working intermittently
and when we check the Tomcat logs we get the message " java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen
space" but the Tomcat service is still running, and we have to restart the Tomcat service.
I am a complete novice when it comes to Tomcat but am expected to resolve this issue as this
server is part of the Avaya telephony solution.

> I have 2 questions please.
>
> 1 - What would be causing this.
>
> 2 - What are the default Java memory settings for Initial memory pool, maximum memory
pool size and thread stack size when the fields are blank when you use the "Configure Tomcat"
interface on Windows. I was wondering if changing one or more of these settings would help
?

> We are running Tomcat 6.0.26 on Windows Server 2008 R2 standard and JVM version is 1.6.0_20-b02

Not a real answer to your question, but one important aspect as a start : these "default
settings" are the settings of the JVM, not of Tomcat. There are no parameters in Tomcat
itself which control those; Tomcat just "lives" in the JVM that runs it.

At a second level : these default settings (and the non-default ones), vary according to
the JVM which you are using, its version, the host it is running on etc.
So you need to look up the values and parameters in the configuration documentation of the

JVM vendor (e.g. Oracle, IBM, ..), not on the Tomcat site.

As for your question # 1 :
this would be a good start : http://lmgtfy.com/?q=java+permgen+space

Another answer would be : your application
(Note: I'm not kidding; it really depends on your applications.  Tomcat itself runs
happily with the default JVM settings)