tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier (tomcat) ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Mixed authentication
Date Mon, 17 Oct 2016 11:53:33 GMT
On 17.10.2016 11:51, Brugnerotto Angélique wrote:
> Good morning everybody.
>
> We use Tomcat 6 for an internal web site.
> Actually, the authentication is negociate with SSO. It works fine. When we access the
web site, the Windows authentication of the Windows session Windows is resumed.

> We would like to publish this site in external.
> We have problems with negociate authentification.
>
> We have tried to put the mixed authentication with Form authentification.
>
> It works but the problem is that when we access the site, we have a page with a form
and 2 choices :
>     - Put the username/password
>    - A button to use Windows authentication
> We have followed this tutorial : http://code.dblock.org/2010/05/27/to...-w-waffle.html
>
> What we would like to do is that the web site tries automatically to do a negociate authentication
and only if it can't, to show a form. We don't find how to do this. Is it possible ? Can you
help us ?

Hello Angélique.
What you are trying to do may be difficult, even impossible.
One problem is that the browser will not even *try* Windows Integrated Authentication, if

the workstation where it runs is not part of the same domain as the server (or at least a

"trusted" server).
(That is for security reasons, as WIA is only deemed "safe" within the same domain).
So the browser will then (probably, depending on how the PC and the server are set up)
automatically revert to HTTP Basic authentication (meaning that the browser built-in login

popup dialog will appear).
But that is not "form authentication".

Note that one of the comments on the page which you mention above, says pretty much the
same thing : see " Atdavie • 4 years ago "
(Full link :
http://code.dblock.org/2010/05/27/tomcat-single-sign-on-mixed-with-form-authentication-w-waffle.html)

The whole issue is fairly complex, and has to do with discrepancies between what the HTTP

protocol foresees or not as valid authentication methods (of which "form" is not one), and

how the Windows (Microsoft-specific) authentication works.

I would suggest that you stay with your current solution, it is the simplest one.