tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier (tomcat) ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: how to write a valve
Date Fri, 14 Oct 2016 09:51:53 GMT
On 14.10.2016 10:05, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 13/10/2016 16:04, Campbell, Lance wrote:
>> Tomcat 8.0.38
>>
>> In my Eclipse development environment when particular servlet requests are made I
want to simulate going through Shibboleth prior to Tomcat handling the request.  I wanted
to see if this will work.

>> In Eclipse within each dynamic web application I would add a valve to the context.xml
file.

>> The valve would:
>>
>> 1)      Check the URL request.
>>
>> 2)      If the URL string matches a list then it will add particular name value pairs
to the request.

>> Example of a possible valve:
>>
>> <Valve className="my.valves.ShibbolethSimulationValve" />
>>

>> 1)      Can a valve actually identify a particular URL path?
>
> Yes. Valves have access to Tomcat's internal request and response objects.
>
>> 2)      Can a valve add an attribute to the request prior to the servlet getting
the request?

> Yes.

Apologies for barging in.  Does that mean that, at this point, the request is still
"mutable" ? (at the servlet filter level, it isn't, as far as I know).

>> 3)      If item #1 and #2 will work does anyone have some base code for a value that
would get me started down the correct path?