tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier (tomcat) ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: tomat8.5 write logs with incorret os permission
Date Fri, 05 Aug 2016 11:24:29 GMT
Hi.

On 05.08.2016 08:00, 韭菜 wrote:
>> Definitely a bad idea to relax the default permissions back to where they were.
If you want to expose your own system to abuse, you can set umask as documented in the changelog.
> Is there a way to like config some param to force tomcat write logs in old way ?and could
you please give me a doc url about how set umask for tomcat run user ?

You might want to start here :

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=linux+umask+command

Then, you may need to find out which command or shell script, *on your Linux system*, is
starting Tomcat, and insert the desired umask command there.

But please consider the remarks made previously by Chuck.
Logfiles may contain information which you do not want to disclose to other than a system

administrator.  By making these files widely readable, you weaken the security of your
whole server and perhaps much more.

Be aware also, that by setting the umask for the Tomcat process, you are influencing the
permissions of *any* file which Tomcat itself, or any Tomcat webapp would create.

> From: "Caldarale, Charles R"<Chuck.Caldarale@unisys.com>;
> Date: 2016年8月5日(星期五) 中午12:25
> To: "Tomcat Users List"<users@tomcat.apache.org>;
> Subject: RE: tomat8.5 write logs with incorret os permission
>

>> From: 韭菜 [mailto:jiucai@qq.com]
>> Subject: tomat8.5 write logs with incorret os permission
>
>> When using tomcat8.0, it starts and write logs as follows:
>> (apache-tomcat-8.0.x) -rw-rw-r-- 1 app app 873710 Aug  4 20:08 catalina.log
>> When using tomcat8.5.x (include tomcat 9.0.x), it starts and write logs as follows:
>> (apache-tomcat-8.5.4) -rw-r----- 1 app app 100824 Aug  4 20:10 catalina.log
>
> A highly appropriate change, much needed to prevent untrusted users from accessing private
information in the log.

>> So, tomcat8.5 caused other os users can not read its logs and webapps logs that deployed
>> at tomcat8.5. the logs files should has permission 664, not 640.
>
> Definitely not a good idea.
>
>> I thinks it is not good for java webapp devlopers ,  when my web app write logs as
>> data log, the logs files can not rsync by other users and hosts.
>
> As it should be.
>
>> but it works at tomcat7.0.x and tomcat8.0.x
>
> "Works" is your definition; any site interested at all in secure operations would consider
the old permissions to be dangerous and broken.