tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Berneburg, Cris J. - US" <cberneb...@caci.com>
Subject RE: OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space - SOLVED
Date Mon, 25 Jul 2016 13:17:20 GMT
Mark (Eggers)

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Eggers [mailto:its_toasted@yahoo.com.INVALID]
Sent: Friday, July 22, 2016 1:28 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space - SOLVED

> Cris,
>
> On 7/22/2016 10:15 AM, Berneburg, Cris wrote:
> > Mark (Thomas), Román, Guido, and Mark (Eggers)
> >
> > Thank you all for your suggestions, assistance, and patience.
> >
> > With your help and encouragement I learned how to perform heap dumps
> > using Java VisualVM, analyze them using Eclipse Memory Analyzer, and
> > follow instructions.  ;-)
> >
> > [SNIP]
> >
> > I apologize for taking your time and bandwidth on such a newbie
> > mistake.
> >
> > Thanks again for your help.  :-)
> >
> > -- Cris Berneburg CACI Lead Software Engineer
> >
> > [SNIP]
> >
> >> Here's the error:
> >>
> >> FAIL - Application at context path /someapp could not be started FAIL
> >> - Encountered exception java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space
> >>

> You're more than welcome. Glad that it was a simple 'read and follow the
> instructions' problem. Been there, done that, have the palm prints on my
> forehead.

I read those Log4J instructions previously (https://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/manual/webapp.html)
but failed to notice/remember the bits about the listener and filter.  Sometimes I think what
happens is that I am so overwhelmed by implementing something new to me, with all its complexities,
that I miss an important detail.  Then afterwards it doesn't seem as complex any more.

> Something I've made a habit of (after getting burned several times by
> stray threads, threadlocals, and permgen errors) is to search for tomcat
> / servlet container in the context of using a library when I add a new
> one to the mix.
>
> That search has saved me lots of grief.

Would you please explain that?  Do you search through your own source code or source code
of the new library?