tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Ari Luoma <arilu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Updating Tomcat native requires APR update
Date Thu, 30 Jun 2016 05:49:32 GMT
On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 3:04 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 29/06/2016 12:40, Ari Luoma wrote:
>> First I would like to thank you for the great job you do by responding
>> to these questions people have.
>>
>> I am about to update Tomcat 8.0.26 -> 8.5.3.
>>
>> I am using AJP APR connector between Tomcat and Apache.
>>
>> If I update APR (by downloading and compiling it from APR website) to
>> the newest do I also need to compile httpd or can it use 1.3.9 APR
>> with httpd when Tomcat uses 1.5.2?
>
> As long as you compile APR 1.5.2 to a separate location and don't
> overwrite your APR 1.3.9 build you should be fine.

But even though if someone would overwrite the previous one it should
be fine, because compiling later version?

Binary Compatibility: "Similar to source compatibility, an application
that has been compiled against a particular version will continue to
be linkable against later versions (unless the major number changes).
It is possible that an application will not be able to successfully
link against a previous minor version."
Source: http://apr.apache.org/versioning.html

>> Below more info about the current setup:
>>
>> One Server with: CentOS 6.3
>> Apache HTTP Server 2.2.15 (installed from centos repo)
>> Tomcat 8.0.26 (Installed by downloading tar.gz...)
>> APR 1.3.9 (installed from centos repo and this is the newest version
>> available from repo)
>> Tomcat-native 1.1.33 (built from Tomcat directory)
>>
>> Server is running multiple Tomcats instances in different ports.
>> httpd is there at front as a proxy with configuration something like this.
>>
>>     Listen 443
>>     NameVirtualHost *:443
>>     <VirtualHost *:443>
>>       <Location "/test">
>>         ProxyPass ajp://localhost:8109/myWebApp/ timeout=3600
>>         ProxyPassReverseCookiePath /myWebApp /test
>>       </Location>
>>     </VirtualHost>
>>

>> Connector on Tomcat side:
>>     <Connector port="8109" protocol="AJP/1.3" URIEncoding="UTF-8"/>
>>

>> #httpd -V
>>     Server version: Apache/2.2.15 (Unix)
>>     Server built:   Aug 13 2013 17:29:28
>>     Server's Module Magic Number: 20051115:25
>>     Server loaded:  APR 1.3.9, APR-Util 1.3.9
>>     Compiled using: APR 1.3.9, APR-Util 1.3.9
>>
>> When about to build the tomcat native 1.2.7 from Tomcat 8.5.3 it says:
>> configure: error: Found APR 1.3.9. You need version 1.4.3 or newer installed.
>
> Once you fix the APR issue, OpenSSL might be your next problem since
> tomcat native requires OpenSSL 1.0.2. There are various solutions, the
> simplest being to build Tomcat Native without OpenSSL support if you
> don't need it.

Thanks for that!
Luckily I don't need the SSL support on Tomcat side, because httpd
handles it and connection to manager goes through VPN so I can
"downgrade" https connection into http.