tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier (tomcat) ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Need help with URL redirecting
Date Tue, 21 Jun 2016 00:54:18 GMT

>>> 2016 12:42 PM To: Tomcat Users List <users@tomcat.apache.org>;
>>> aw@ice-sa.com Subject: Re: Need help with URL redirecting

>>> Thank you for the tidbit about how to reply :) So I used number
>>> 17 from the website and i deployed the war file as the ROOT.war
>>> file.  What should the next steps be?
>>>

>>> I thank you again for all of your help!
>>>

>> Thank you Steve for the suggestion. Will this work with out using a
>> reverse proxy? My management told me not to use a reverse proxy
>
> Yes, you can do this without a reverse proxy, but removing the port
> number can be a bit of an issue, which is why a reverse proxy is
> sometimes recommended: it's just easier that way -- especially if
> another web server is already available for that purpose.
>
> For more help, you'll have to give us more information about your
> environment: OS, other services already available on the network, etc.
> For example, if an appropriate reverse proxy is already available,
> then you can point your DNS record to that proxy, and use a virtual
> host for that domain name. Then, proxy everything to your Tomcat instanc
> e.

Actually, I was thinking of using Tomcat only, and configuring 2 <Host> :
- one to listen on port 80, with a single and simple default app which sends back a
"permanent redirect" to the other Host
- one to listen on the HTTPS port, with the real application
(or if not possible with 2 Hosts, then 2 separate Tomcat instances).
But yes, it would be simpler with a reverse proxy in front.