tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier (tomcat) ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Need help with URL redirecting
Date Fri, 17 Jun 2016 16:03:49 GMT
On 17.06.2016 17:03, Sean Son wrote:
> Hello all
>
> I am new to the list. This is what i am trying to do but need help on:
>

> I have a webapp running on tomcat 8:  https://myapp.example.com:8443/myapp
>
> I am going to set up a DNS record myapp.example.com which will point to the
> IP address of the tomcat server that hosts the webapp.. I want this new DNS
> record myapp.example.com to redirect to https://myapp.example.com:8443/myapp.
> In other words, I want the URL to redirect port 80 to the URL for the
> webapp automatically so the users will not have to enter in the port number
> whenever they want to browse to the webapp. I tried doing research on
> google and I was not able to find a straight forward way of doing this. Any
> help is greatly appreciated!

The first thing you would have to check, is whether port 80 is still free on that server,

or if there is already another webserver (e.g. Apache httpd) using it.

The second thing to clarify is whether, apart from "myapp", there are other web
applications (not called "myapp") which you are running or would want to run under Tomcat

on that server.
If not, then you might want to run your application as the *default* application, so that

users would get to it with the URL "https://myapp.example.com:8443/", instead of
"https://myapp.example.com:8443/myapp".
To do this first, have a look at :
  http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/HowTo
and look at #17 : How do I make my web application be the tomcat default application

It will just be easier if you clear up the above points first, because there are multiple

possibilities, and it narrows down the scope of the tips we can provide.