tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier (tomcat) ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Remove Port from Https URL || SSL Port Issue || Important
Date Fri, 10 Jun 2016 10:49:05 GMT
On 10.06.2016 12:14, varun gulati wrote:
> Hello Gurus,
>
> We are using Tomcat to serve our User Base (we are not using Apache http Server but only
Tomcat). We have recently enabled SSL in our Project and everything runs just fine. We raised
the CSR using keytool, got the Certificates, So both of my below URLs work perfectly:

> http://hostname:8080
> https://hostname:8443
>
> Framework Details:
> OS: Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.9 (Tikanga)
> Tomcat Version: 7.x
>
> Port 8443 which was not coming in the netstat o/p, now comes:
>
> netstat -an | grep 8443
> tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:8443                0.0.0.0:*                   LISTEN
>

> Here is how the server.xml looks like (excluding the ciphers list):
>
> ===============================================================================================================
>
>      <Connector executor="tomcatThreadPool"
>                 port="8080" protocol="HTTP/1.1"
>                 connectionTimeout="20000"
>                 redirectPort="8443" />
>
>      <!-- Define a SSL HTTP/1.1 Connector on port 8443
>           This connector uses the JSSE configuration, when using APR, the
>           connector should be using the OpenSSL style configuration
>           described in the APR documentation -->
>

>          <Connector port="8443" protocol="HTTP/1.1" SSLEnabled="true"
>                 maxThreads="150" scheme="https" secure="true"
>                             keystoreFile="/abc/xyz/XXXXXX.keystore" keystorePass="XXXXXX"
>                 clientAuth="false" sslProtocol="TLS"
>                             ciphers="XXXXX" />
>
> =================================================================================================================
>
> Now the requirement is that, we exclude the Port no. from the URL. Believe the only way
out is to use Port 443 instead of 8443, so in the above configuration in the SSL section we
just replace the port "8443" with Port "443" and give the redirectPort as "8443".

> However, it is not working out for us. We did a lot of investigation, surfing but could
not find any solution.
> Also we confirmed that Port 443 is not blocked anywhere. Also "netstat -an" doesn't give
any o/p for Port 443:Below is how our config looks like when we tried it out enabling 443
(excluding ciphers).

> ==================================================================================================================
>
>      <Connector executor="tomcatThreadPool"
>                 port="8080" protocol="HTTP/1.1"
>                 connectionTimeout="20000"
>                 redirectPort="8443" />
>
>      <!-- Define a SSL HTTP/1.1 Connector on port 8443
>           This connector uses the JSSE configuration, when using APR, the
>           connector should be using the OpenSSL style configuration
>           described in the APR documentation -->
>

>          <Connector executor="tomcatThreadPool" port="443" protocol="HTTP/1.1" SSLEnabled="true"
>                 maxThreads="150" scheme="https" secure="true"
>                             keystoreFile="/abc/xyz/XXXXXX.keystore" keystorePass="XXXXXX"
>                 clientAuth="false" sslProtocol="TLS" redirectPort="8443"
>                             ciphers="XXXXXXX" />
>

> ==================================================================================================================
>
> Really appreciate your help and guidance towards resolving the issue. Many thanks in
advance...

Hi.
Thanks for the info provided above.
(Suggested improvement still : provide the exact Tomcat version, and the Java version.)

Others :
- the "redirectPort" attribute above (on the SSL Connector), is not needed (and ignored)
if the Connector is already HTTPS anyway. See :
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/http.html#Attributes --> redirectPort

but more importantly : what does the Tomcat logfile say ?
(It should open port 443; if it doesn't, it may be that this port is already in use by
another program. The log would tell you that.)

netstat -pan | grep LISTEN | grep 443

(-pan will also list the program name and PID of what owns it)