tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Kiran Badi <ki...@poonam.org>
Subject request.getParameter and special characters - Apache Tomcat/7.0.57 on win 7
Date Wed, 18 May 2016 03:25:11 GMT
Hi ,

I have this link in jsp which has below tags,

<%@page contentType="text/html" pageEncoding="UTF-8"%>

and then my servlet looks like below,

/*
 * To change this license header, choose License Headers in Project
Properties.
 * To change this template file, choose Tools | Templates
 * and open the template in the editor.
 */
package controller;

import java.io.IOException;
import java.io.PrintWriter;
import javax.servlet.ServletException;
import javax.servlet.annotation.WebServlet;
import javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet;

/**
 *
 * @author Kiran
 */
@WebServlet(name = "TestServlet", urlPatterns = {"/TestServlet"})
public class TestServlet extends HttpServlet {

    /**
     * Processes requests for both HTTP <code>GET</code> and
<code>POST</code>
     * methods.
     *
     * @param request servlet request
     * @param response servlet response
     * @throws ServletException if a servlet-specific error occurs
     * @throws IOException if an I/O error occurs
     */
    protected void processRequest(HttpServletRequest request,
HttpServletResponse response)
            throws ServletException, IOException {
        response.setContentType("text/html;charset=UTF-8");
        try (PrintWriter out = response.getWriter()) {
            /* TODO output your page here. You may use following sample
code. */
            String param = request.getParameter("teststring");
            String param1 = new
String(request.getParameter("teststring").getBytes("UTF-8"));
            out.println("<!DOCTYPE html>");
            out.println("<html>");
            out.println("<head>");
            out.println("<title>Servlet TestServlet</title>");
            out.println("</head>");
            out.println("<body>");
            out.println("<h1>Servlet TestServlet at " +
request.getContextPath() + "</h1>");
            out.println("<h1>Servlet TestServlet at " + param + "</h1>");
            out.println("<h1>Servlet TestServlet at " + param1 + "</h1>");
            out.println("</body>");
            out.println("</html>");
        }
    }

    // <editor-fold defaultstate="collapsed" desc="HttpServlet methods.
Click on the + sign on the left to edit the code.">
    /**
     * Handles the HTTP <code>GET</code> method.
     *
     * @param request servlet request
     * @param response servlet response
     * @throws ServletException if a servlet-specific error occurs
     * @throws IOException if an I/O error occurs
     */
    @Override
    protected void doGet(HttpServletRequest request, HttpServletResponse
response)
            throws ServletException, IOException {
        processRequest(request, response);
    }

    /**
     * Handles the HTTP <code>POST</code> method.
     *
     * @param request servlet request
     * @param response servlet response
     * @throws ServletException if a servlet-specific error occurs
     * @throws IOException if an I/O error occurs
     */
    @Override
    protected void doPost(HttpServletRequest request, HttpServletResponse
response)
            throws ServletException, IOException {
        processRequest(request, response);
    }

   }

and getParameter for some reason seems to truncating the value after &

Servlet TestServlet at testingServlet TestServlet at testing

I really need to understand as what characters are accepted and what
characters get truncated with getParameter.

I am building few links on the fly which might have space,backslashes,
comma and & characters in it.So wanted to understand should I encode it via
js or container can take care of those for me.

container connector setting has URIEncoding="UTF-8" settings.

Thanking you
Kiran Badi