tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Rune Stilling <s...@rdfined.dk>
Subject Replacing default servlet using url-mapping
Date Wed, 13 Apr 2016 11:12:05 GMT
Hi list

I have a question regarding the servlet-mapping property in web.xml. Normally a url would
look like this:

http://host:port/context/servlet-path

As many others I have tried to setup my servlet so that it matches the following:

http://host:port/

I’m trying to obtain this by using the following url-mapping:

    <servlet-mapping>
        <servlet-name>ServletAdaptor</servlet-name>
        <url-pattern>/</url-pattern>
    </servlet-mapping>

I have read the answers on these two links:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4140448/difference-between-and-in-servlet-mapping-url-pattern
<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4140448/difference-between-and-in-servlet-mapping-url-pattern>
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10874188/jax-rs-application-on-the-root-context-how-can-it-be-done
<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10874188/jax-rs-application-on-the-root-context-how-can-it-be-done>

It’s still not clear to me why this doesn’t work (using Tomcat 7.0)

I’ve have turned on Jersey tracing and this is what I get (on a url like this http://localhost:8080/emner/81.20.00):

X-Jersey-Tracing-004:MATCH       [ ---- /  1,00 ms |  ---- %] Matching path [/]

What’s puzzling to me is that it seems that for some reason my path gets stripped away before
reaching the servlet. I would have expected something like this instead:

X-Jersey-Tracing-004:MATCH       [ ---- / 19,39 ms |  ---- %] Matching path [/emner/81.20.00]

Is it so in Tomcat, that when you use the url-pattern “/“ that the rest of path is ignored
when interpreting the original url? Is it different using other containers?

Could be related to this:

http://bluxte.net/musings/2006/03/29/servletpath-and-pathinfo-servlet-api-weirdness <http://bluxte.net/musings/2006/03/29/servletpath-and-pathinfo-servlet-api-weirdness>

With regards,
Rune Stilling