tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier (tomcat) ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject property replacement in WEB-INF/web.xml
Date Wed, 13 Jan 2016 14:36:27 GMT
Hi gurus.

Under tomcat 8 and Linux, I am deploying an externally-provided web application, which in

its web.xml configuration file, has a parameter like this :

	<init-param>
	  <param-name>logroot</param-name>
	  <param-value>/var/log/tomcat8</param-value>
	</init-param>

This works, but I would like to make this more "generic", and would like to replace the
above param-value by something like this :

	<init-param>
           <param-name>logroot</param-name>
           <param-value>${CATALINA_BASE}/logs</param-value>
         </init-param>

with CATALINA_BASE being the well-known environment value set prior to starting (the JVM
which runs) Tomcat (and "${CATALINA_BASE}/logs" being actually a link which points to
"/var/log/tomcat8" in this case).

Can I do this ? and if yes, what is the exact way to do this right ?

(In a log4j configuration file, I can use "${env:CATALINA_BASE}" for this, but this is not

available under Tomcat, or is it ?)